If you’re planning on hiking with your children this summer, it’s important to be prepared.
Whether you’re sticking close to home with one of these Fort Collins area hikes for kids or heading to Rocky Mountain National Park for a day (or two or three) of fun, follow these safety tips for hiking with children:
- Keep children in your sight.
- Dress them in brightly colored clothing with multiple layers to accommodate the changing temperatures.
- Give them a whistle in case they get lost. A whistle can be heard farther than a child yelling.
- Have them carry snacks such as trail mix, raisins and candy bars.
- If a child is missing, begin your search immediately and call 911 as quickly as possible.
If a child becomes lost, teach them these rules:
- Stay calm.
- Stay put. Hug a tree near a clearing to make yourself more visible.
- Stay warm. Find a protective spot that is still visible but out of the wind.
- Stay noisy. Frequently blow your whistle or yell as loud as you can.
Have a great trip!